Thursday, December 11, 2008

Manifestation Station!!

In the hopes of procrastinating and escaping from studying for finals, I have decided that it is time for another blog post! I entitled this blog "Manifestation Station" because 'tis the season for strikes and demonstrations here in France! In this past week alone, we have had at least three here in Montpellier. They can range from HUGE (example: the tram drivers and bus drivers were on strike for an entire day after an incident of an assaulted bus driver. No public transportation was available all day AND it was pouring rain here!!!) to minimal group gatherings and chantings together, usually finishing within an hour. Today there was a very large parade and pep rally including most school-age children, their parents, and teachers. Nicolas Sarkozy has been focusing on the economic crisis and taking away from the already-suffering school system here. The French teachers and parents are not pleased with the situation and, thus, the grand demonstration today. The pep rally part lasted roughly an hour and a half and sounded like mostely cheering, yelling, and clapping--I watched from a distance even though I knew that it wouldn't get dangerous with such a large presence of children. So, as I stated earlier, it seems as though the holidays are when everyone tries their best to be heard here as each day brings a new strike and cause.

--ANSWERS TO FRENCH CLASS QUESTIONS--
1.) I am sorry that I didn't explain the IMLS office very well in my last blog. The IMLS stands for "Institut Méditerranéen de Langues et Services." I am studying here in Montpellier through my university, which has selected to work with the IMLS. It is an institute that organizes foreign exchange students coming to Montpellier. By "organize", I mean that they place us with our host families, help us enroll at the french university here, show us around Montpellier our first week, and organize fun weekend excursions. Their office is right down the street from where I currently live and this gives me easy access (and free, might I add) to internet, which I don't have available at the apartment. So it is thanks to the IMLS that I can access the internet as often as I do and that I have been able to meet my great new friends here in Montpellier. They also organize English-language conferences and classes, but I don't know too much on that subject.
2.) The grading system here in France is based on a 20-point system, but getting 20's is practically unheard of. Even grades of 15 or 16 are considered excellent. It has been a bit bizarre having to change my expectations for myself and the grades that I get here. I will be interested to see how all of my grades and credits transfer when I return to the United States. I will be able to be more detailed after I receive my final grades, since the majority of my grades are based on my exams this week. I have had a couple of homework assignments and tests during the semester, but a HUGE portion of my grades are based on one little exam!!! Speaking of which, it is time that I return to my studies! Best wishes to everyone back home!!

No comments: