Sunday, January 11, 2009

Winter Wonderland Vacation

Woohoo, I never thought that it would feel so good to be back in Montpellier! After nearly a month of traveling, it is nice to be in a place that feels like home. I am living with a new host family just outside of the center of the city, and I LOVE IT! Colette and Christian, my host parents, are absolutely adorable and as sweet as can be. I feel like a part of the family already!
My winter vacation was a series of WONDERFUL trips! I began by visiting a quaint German town named Garmisch-Partenkirchen where I enjoyed Weiner-schnitzel and hearty German sausages. Then I traveled back to France and spent 4 days in an adorable city called Strasbourg. This city, known as the “Capital of Christmas” for its stupendous Christmas markets, is a great mix of French and German architecture, cuisine, and culture. I bought far too much and ate enough choucroute (traditional Alsacian dish with sauerkraut, potatoes, ham, hotdogs, and sausage) to feed an entire village! Then it was on to Paris…
My arrival in the “City of Lights” marked the end of my voyage with Ellen, my UB travel buddy, and the start of some family time. Aaron flew into Paris to be with me on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day while my dad arrived on the 26th. After wishing Aaron “au revoir”, my dad and I started our French adventure with the Parisian highlight being the discovery of the Musee de l’Orangerie, where one can be engulfed by the masterpieces of Monet. We headed south on the 28th, ate some beef burgundy and a croque madame, and arrived to our luxurious hotel in Lyon after seeing the sights.
Next, we headed to Nimes where we rang in the New Year with a 7-course meal and entertaining new friends. After Nimes, we were on to Provence and the land of lavender (Dad was beyond pleased!) and then to Nice. The weather was warm and sunny in Nice and my dad and I didn’t hesitate to pass an afternoon relaxing on the beach! Nice was my favorite city on the tour due to its mix of Italian and French cultures as well as the best food, for sure! We had time to visit Monaco as well before we finished in Montpellier, where it SNOWED (something rare in this area)!
I have tried to select pictures that show some memorable sights or moments during the trip. Enjoy!


GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN


Gastehaus Maria--where we stayed!

Pretty countryside shot/Me at the Gorge!

STRASBOURG


Two cute little views of the architecture


Christmas decorations on a building/Me and Pinocchio

PARIS

Notre Dame/The Opera House


The Moulin Rouge (where we saw a show)/Me with the HUGE Monet work



My two men at the Eiffel Tower, one at the tip-top and one below


NIMES

Me at the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Pont du Gard--cross it off my list!

ARLES


Roman amphitheater in Arles


CANNES

Me and Austen Powers

NICE


Dad talking with the creepy catman/Nice courtyard


St. Paul (cute nearby village)/Me overlooking Nice

MONACO

My future palace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GEEZUM!!! What an adventure you had during your break! The pictures help me to remember the things you told me and I think I saw the hat that I will want to "borrow" from you in the pics. And that jacket!!- the orangey one looks AMAZING! I can't even believe all the places you've been and the awesome sites you have seen! I am sure that this spring semester will bring even better things and I know that your new living arrangement could be what makes all the difference. I have been checking this site all week to see when you would update it and I'm so glad that you did and I can start my week with fresh pictures of a far-away land in my head. :-)

kiloveyoubye.

Anonymous said...

hey
katelyn i am so happy to hear that you are doing well
in geograohy i just got done about a moth ago learning about Europe and the place were you are at . I think that it is so cool that you are keeping in touch with your other friends that are here and that you are there.
talk to you later
veronica

Anonymous said...

Wow Katelyn, you are surely getting around Europe! I love all the info and all the pictures. Hopefully you will come to Scotland soon! Shona McLeod (Snr!)