Friday, April 24, 2009

Preschool Fun

Hello again! I know that this entry is a bit soon after my Spanish adventure one but I wanted to write it before I forget. I only have two weeks left of classes, a week of exams, and then I will be homeward bound! It’s all going by so quickly and I am getting ready to leave JUST as it is starting to get warm here. Oh well, can’t have it all, I suppose.
This entry is to show you the little ones that I have been working with since the beginning of January. Every Friday I go to school with Colette (my French host mother). She teaches a preschool class of 2-3 year olds at an elementary school about ten minutes from where we live. It is an area of Montpellier that many inhabitants, sadly, do their best to avoid. This area is where the majority of North African immigrants come to live, most of whom are from Morocco. These children come from large families living in small houses, often knowing only how to speak Arabic. Many mothers who don’t speak French can’t communicate with the teachers, a sad sight to see. A number of fathers are unemployed and seeking employment but, unfortunately, the prejudice toward immigrants still exists here. This coupled with the economic crisis leaves many of these families desperate. Despite these hardships, the children still come to school and learn French. Hopefully their futures will be a bit easier than the lives of their parents. Enjoy the pictures—today we had a fairy visit and give us the gift of an Egg Hunt!!!

Amine/Some of the class


Jasmine/Rosalie and the fairy telling us about the hunt


Hunting for those eggs/Nabil bringing back the victory basket


Snack time/Some of the boys


Maryam and Soufiane/Yasmina

Chahid!!

4 comments:

Casey Richardssss said...

this is wicked cute!
I wish I could have an experience like that, especially with kids as cute as them.

;D

-Casey Richards
French 1

Erin Conley said...

The kids are so cute, they look like they were having alot of fun with the easter eggs. Hope your having a great time.

Erin Conley
French 1

Randee Warner said...

Aww they are adorable. That must be such a great experience for you. I hope you are having a good time.

Emma Hewett said...

Awww! They're so adorable! That sounds like such an interesting and rewarding experience. It's great that these kids still get to go to school and have fun and learn even though their families are having a tough time. It much be so cool to work with them. They're so cute with the Easter eggs!!!

I'm sure you're have a great time!

-E. Hewett
French 2